Rules of Style
1. The width of the tie should match the width of the lapel.
2. In general, thin lapels are more modern. Wide lapels are more old-school, Mad Men style.
3. A pocket square adds an extra level of polish, but make sure it doesn’t match your tie in either pattern or fabric choice.
4. When buying an off-the-rack suit, the number one thing to check is how the shoulders fit.
5. A collar gap between your jacket’s lapels and your shirt’s collar can signify an ill-fitting jacket.
6. Opt for a charcoal or gray suit over black, unless you’re attending a funeral.